Organizing a Warehouse January 31 2013
Any company that carries inventory needs a well-thought-out warehouse space with efficient storage, and space for shipping and receiving.
Workers who know where things are and where things need to be stored, who work in safe conditions and whose needs are considered in the warehouse layout are likely to make fewer mistakes and have less accidents. The items you’re warehousing determine the exact layout of a warehouse, but you can set up almost any warehouse by following a few steps.
- Lay out a floor plan with area designed for shipping, receiving and storage.
- Determine what kind and the amount of shelving and storage you need for the items you’ll be storing in your warehouse.
- Create a storage area for items that are frequently needed.
- Keep the area around the loading dock clear.
- Post safety signs and notices required by your state or city in prominent places.